Sunday 22 October 2017

Manifesto

During my first year studying this course I really struggled to like and enjoy the briefs I was working on, I really did doubt my place on the course and as a graphic designer because by not enjoying the content within the briefs it filled my mind with doubt to whether I was really in the right place or not. It was only until the very end of the course and after numerous talks with tutors about my work stance, did it really sink in that I was on this course for a reason and I was in fact good enough to be at this university and to believe in myself a whole lot more. Only now do I fully have the confidence to work in my own style and really tailor the brief to suit me, I have never been the typical mainstream, modern, stylised graphic designer but its important to understand that not everyone works in the same style and to be that bit different is so much better than just being like everyone else. During this year, I really want to work on developing my own style of work and learning new skills to execute this.

Creating lots of print based work has always been a great interest in mine, but its no good just looking online or in shops/ galleries etc and admiring this kind of work, I need to work on going out of my way to learn these skills and having the confidence to ask people for help. This is another thing I really want to work on this year, its not being afraid to ask a tutor or another peer for help when I may be struggling on a piece of work or have an idea but am unsure how to create it- this will only benefit me in the future or even within the next couple of months when I come to put together a portfolio or start to approach businesses for internships and work experience. Even though I can 100% see how much my all round confidence in both outside and inside of the university environment has significantly increased, I think its important to keep on working at that in order to be the best version of myself I can be.

My hopes for this year is to further develop pieces of work I am proud of and would be excited to put into my portfolio and show to potential clients or people I may work with and I think this can be really achieved if I just believe in myself that bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment